Pan Poached Halibut with Porcini, Carrots, and Asparagus
The meaty texture of halibut paired with the vegetables makes this a deliciously filling meal. Mahi mahi or tilapia can replace the halibut for a change, simply reduce the cooking time for the fish to avoid overcooking it. This is a great weekend meal, especially for special occasion luncheons.
Pan Poached Halibut with Porcini, Carrots, and AsparagusServes 4
For the halibut:
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of a small lemon
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
1 green onion, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
4 (4 ounces each) halibut fillets
For the vegetables:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white part only)
1 cup thinly sliced porcini mushrooms
2 medium-sized carrots, trimmed, cut into matchsticks
24 asparagus spears, quartered, cut on a diagonal
Pinch of salt or more to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons minced chives
1. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and green onion. Place halibut in marinade, cover, and marinate for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Remove halibut from marinade and sear for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Add shallot and leeks to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. If vegetables start to stick, add a little vegetable broth or water and continue to cook.
4. Add mushrooms, carrots, and asparagus and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add wine and vegetable broth. Place halibut on top of vegetables and cover pan. Cook until halibut is just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
6. Uncover pan and transfer each fillet to a serving plate. Evenly divide vegetables and arrange them atop and alongside each fillet. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Per serving: 15g carbs, 4g fiber, 24g protein, 22g fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 270mg sodium, 58mg cholesterol, 395 calories, 198 calories from fat.