A bit delicate -- they tend to break if shipped. This is a good gift to hand deliver, and perfect all wintertime! The kids love to help make these.
1 cup walnuts
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Confectioners sugar to cover
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Finely chop the walnuts in a blender or food processor, set aside.
2. Cream together the margarine and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar. Add the vanilla extract or maple syrup. Stir in the flour, salt and chopped up nuts.
3. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place them an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 400 degrees until set but not browned- about 10 minutes.
5. Roll cookies in confectioner's sugar while warm and then again when they've cooled.
Makes about 4 dozen.