The flavors of the Middle East are highlighted in this simple lamb dish. The lamb can be grilled on your barbecue, making it a good choice for cool summer eating.
Cumin and Coriander-Crusted Leg of Lamb
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1 4-lb. boneless lamb leg, trimmed and butterflied
- In a small bowl, mix the coriander, cumin, pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, garlic, oil and yogurt. Place the lamb in a large baking dish and coat with the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degress F.
- Place the lamb in the oven and cook for 2 to 2.5 hours, basting the lamb with its own juices every 30 minutes or so. Cook uncovered in an oven safe dish.
- Transfer the lamb to a platter and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Transfer the pan juices to a cup and skim off the fat. Slice the lamb and drizzle with the pan juices.
Per serving: 1.5g effective carbs (carbs minus fiber); 1.7g carbohydrates; 0.2g fiber; 39.5g protein; 50.9g fat; 632 calories