Feast on some great low carb BBQ! These turkey mushroom burgers are high in protein, have fabulous flavor, and boast a mouthwatering meaty texture.
Turkey Mushroom Burgers
Nothing beats the flavor of all-beef patties, but turkey burgers can become an equally sumptuous alternative. Earthy mushrooms and creamy ricotta lend these burgers a meaty texture and a rich
taste. Slather with sun-dried tomato mayonnaise (puree mayonnaise with sun-dried tomatoes) and top with spicy alfalfa sprouts or arugula. High-fiber low carb buns are optional.
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1-1/4 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat grill to medium-high or high.
2. Drain mushrooms and squeeze out excess liquid (reserve liquid to enhance soups or sauces).
3. Finely chop mushrooms and place in a large mixing bowl with remaining ingredients; mix well.
4. Divide turkey mixture into four equal portions (5 ounces each).
5. Make four 3/4- inch-thick patties.
6. Oil grill rack with vegetable oil and grill patties for three to four minutes.
7. Flip with spatula and grill three or four more minutes.
8. If not completely cooked through to your liking, move the patties to a cooler area of the grill and cook an additional three to five minutes. If unsure of the doneness, insert an instant-read
thermometer into the center of a burger; it should reach 160 degrees F.
9. Serve immediately.
10. Makes four burgers.
Variation: To create an even meatier texture, toast 1/2 cup of walnuts, chop and mix into ground turkey along with the other ingredients.
Per burger (no bun): 3.5g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 36g protein; 267 calories
Leave a Comment