This luscious butter makes even the simplest bread or roll special. Try it on toast, biscuits, pancakes, French toast, waffles or bread pudding. It’s especially lovely with banana bread and holiday breads, such as Stollen.
- 3 oz. bittersweet (at least 70 percent cocoa) chocolate, chopped*
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, slightly chilled
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. orange zest, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- Optional: 1/2 cup roasted and salted pistachio nuts, chopped into halves and quarters**
1. Melt chocolate in microwave-safe bowl on low at one minute intervals, stirring until just melted and smooth. Or, using a double boiler, place chocolate in top bowl, stirring frequently until just melted, taking care not to overheat at bottom or sides. Allow melted chocolate to cool enough to touch.
2. Place the cooled butter in a medium mixing bowl and with an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle) or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
* This is a place to use the best quality chocolate you can find, preferably one with 70% to 85% cocoa content.
** Roasted and salted pistachios add a welcome textural contrast. Most stores sell them already shelled. You may also use a different toasted nut or no nuts at all.
This recipe provided by Wisconsin Dairy