These beautiful cookies are perfect for the holidays, a wedding, or any special occasion.
Lemon Ricotta Cookies
Makes approx. 4 dozen glazed cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 15 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract or 1 tsp. lemon and/or tangerine baking oil
- 3 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest, freshly grated*
- 1 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice
- Decorating sugar, silver dragees (small silver balls), optional
* Meyer lemons are available mid-November through early spring in specialty food stores. You will need 2 to 3 medium-sized lemons. Regular lemons can be substituted.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine butter and sugar in bowl; cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, Ricotta, lemon extract (or baking oil), zest and juice; blend well.
- Add 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt; blend to combine. Add remaining flour in two parts, blending to combine between each, until a dough forms.
- Drop by rounded Tbsp. 2 in. apart onto baking sheets. Bake until cookie edges are very light golden, about 12 to 15 min. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for a few min. and transfer to wire cooling rack.
- While cookies cool, prepare glaze by creaming together butter and sugar. Continue to mix, gradually adding juice until desired consistency.
- Decorate cooled cookies adding dragees or decorating sugar, if desired, before icing sets.
More cookie recipes
This recipe provided by Wisconsin Dairy