Tropical Orange Waffles
Begin your day with the peaceful energy of the tropics. These Caribbean-inspired waffles are a delicious and light way to help you start your day. Not only will you enjoy the classic tropical flavors, but by pairing this wholesome breakfast dish with a glass of orange juice, you will meet your entire USDA daily fruit requirement.
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 100 percent Florida orange juice (May substitute orange juice from concentrate)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Banana Coconut Syrup:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 banana sliced
1. Toast macadamia nuts in a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes until golden. Remove, cool and chop.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a medium bowl combine orange juice, egg, canola oil and vanilla and mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth, and stir in macadamia nuts.
3. For syrup, simmer to reduce the orange juice by half, then add coconut milk, syrup and sliced banana to the saucepan to warm through.
4. Heat a waffle iron and lightly coat with nonstick canola oil spray. Portion 1/2 cup batter on warmed waffle iron.
5. Cook until golden brown or until waffle begins to separate from iron. Top with 1/4 cup of banana coconut syrup, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
Nutrients per serving: 360 calories, 7 g protein, 65 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 9 g total fat (sat 2.5 g, mono 4.4 g, poly 1.44 g), 330 mg sodium
Time saver: If you want to prepare this recipe the day before making the waffles, simply mix the wet ingredients in a container and store overnight in your refrigerator. Prepare the dry ingredients separately and store. Mix them together just prior to using.