Orange Pancakes with Tropical Citrus Sauce
Feature these fruity pancakes at a brunch accompanied with ham or Canadian-style bacon slices, assorted fresh fruit and frosty glasses of juice.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups Florida orange juice
- 2 teaspoons margarine or butter
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits (juice pack), drained
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-fat packaged biscuit mix
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 beaten eggs or 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1 medium banana, sliced
For the sauce: In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and pineapple. For pancakes: In a medium bowl, stir together biscuit mix, milk, thawed concentrate, and eggs until combined. For each pancake, pour about 3 tablespoons batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until golden (turn when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry). Keep hot while cooking remaining pancakes. Stir banana into sauce and serve the warm sauce over pancakes.
Makes 6 servings (3 pancakes and about 1/3 cup sauce)
This recipe was provided courtesy of The Florida Department of Citrus.