Right now, “Nuevo Latino” cuisine is hot, hot, hot. These low-fat fajitas combine wholesome ingredients and powerful antioxidants with Southwestern flair to pack a nutritious punch that is high in fiber.
- 1 cup orange juice*
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 medium yellow peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 oranges peeled and cut into segments
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 10-to 15- count shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
* May substitute Florida orange juice from concentrate
Combine all ingredients, except shrimp and oil, in medium mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss shrimp into marinade and refrigerate two hours. Remove shrimp from marinade and let drain for 5 minutes. Drain vegetables from marinade through a large colander over a saucepot. Bring reserved marinade liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; set aside.
Heat large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the oil to pan. Add shrimp and saute until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan and keep warm. Add the other half of the oil to pan, followed by drained vegetables. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn heat up to high and spread vegetables evenly throughout the pan. Vegetables will start to brown on the bottom of the pan.
Arrange shrimp over the vegetables and add reserved marinade. Serve immediately with a side of your favorite guacamole and a plate of warmed whole wheat tortillas.
- 12 6- to 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Large cloth napkin or dish towel to keep tortillas warm
Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly spray one side of each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray. Place tortilla, sprayed-side-down, into hot skillet. Cook until tortilla begins to expand, about one minute, then flip over and cook another minute. Place tortilla on large napkin. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked. Stack tortillas as you cook them, then wrap with napkin and place on a serving plate.
Nutrients per serving: 500 calories, 28 g protein, 67 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 12 g total fat (sat 0.5 g, mono 7 g, poly 4 g), 607 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 30
Total Time: 1 hour