Giant Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich
Cool, creamy vanilla ice cream is "sandwiched" between two giant homemade brownies, and peanut butter-oatmeal cookie crumbles sprinkled over the top add a peanutty "punch." A full eight inches in diameter, this ice cream sandwich is plenty big to share!
- 1/3 cup Quaker oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (not reduced fat)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Quaker oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- One quart vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans with aluminum foil, allowing foil to extend over sides of pans. Spray with no-stick cooking spray or grease lightly.
2. For topping, combine oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut in peanut butter and margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
3. For brownies, melt chocolate pieces and margarine in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs; mix well. Add combined flour, oats, baking powder and salt; mix well. Divide batter evenly between pans. Sprinkle with reserved topping, patting gently.
4. Bake 22 to 24 minutes for 8-inch pan (20 to 22 minutes for 9-inch pan) or just until center of brownie is set. (Do not overbake.) Cool completely in pans on wire rack.
5. To assemble, spread softened ice cream evenly over one brownie layer while still in pan. Lift second brownie layer out of pan; remove foil. With topping side up, place second brownie layer on top of ice cream, pressing gently. Cover and freeze several hours or overnight.
6. Remove from freezer 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Lift from pan using foil edges. Remove foil; cut into wedges. Store leftovers tightly wrapped in freezer.Makes 12 servings Nutrition information: 1/12 of recipe Calories 420, Calories From Fat 200, Total Fat 22g, Saturated Fat 8g, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 190mg, Total Carbohydrates 49g, Sugars 30g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 8g. This recipe was provided courtesy of Quaker Oats. Their website offers information on everything from the health benefits of oatmeal to recipes and fun facts, to cooking contests and craft ideas.