This recipe for these cute cupcakes are perfect for any patriotic holiday (the 4th of July, Veteran’s day, Presidental holidays) — but of course you can enjoy them anytime! Simply switch the color of the fruit snack to mix with the berries for other fun designs.
What you need for this recipe
1 package (18- to 19-ounces) yellow cake mix
1/3 cup applesauce
3 egg whites
3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 roll red-colored rolled fruit snack (from a 4.5-ounce box)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix with applesauce, egg whites and 1-1/4 cups water for 30 seconds on low speed, then 2 minutes on medium speed. Spoon cake batter into 24 (2-1/2 inch) aluminum or paper lined muffin cups.
- Evenly divide 1 cup of blueberries onto tops of batter; do not stir.
- Bake cupcakes following package directions; remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spoon onto cooled cupcakes; spread to the edges.
- Unroll fruit snack and, with a sharp knife, cut into strips 1/8-inch wide by 2-inch long. On half of each cupcake, arrange strips, trimming each to fit.
- Arrange remaining 2 cups blueberries on the frosting on other halves of the cupcakes — about 10 blueberries per cupcake.
This red, white and blue flag cupcake recipe makes 24 servingsNutrition information: Per fourth of July cupcake, including frosting and toppings: 135 calories; 3 g protein; 24 g carbohydrate; 3 g total fat (1.8 g saturated fat). Per patriotic flag cupcake, if made with oil and whole eggs, including frosting and toppings: 177 calories; 3 g protein; 24 g carbohydrate; 8 g total fat (3 g saturated fat).