The biggest night in film is almost here — of course, I’m talking about the Oscars. The 92nd Academy Awards will kick off this Sunday, February 9th at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on ABC. We’ve already planned our viewing party menu and are ready to watch the stars strut down the red carpet dressed up in their glitz and glam, but what we really want to know is what they’ll be noshing on at the biggest afterparty in Hollywood: the Governors Ball.
View this post on Instagram
We are excited for this Sunday’s 92nd Academy Awards Govenors Ball! It’s our 26th year with the @theacademy and we are honored to be part of this magical night 💫 Here’s a sneak peak of what we will be serving this year 🌟 @wpcatering #🍴⭐️ . . . #academyawards2020 #oscars2020 #oscarsgovernorsball
The Governors Ball is an annual celebration that takes place immediately following the awards ceremony. Each year the menu is artfully crafted by Wolfgang Puck and this year’s menu is following one of 2020’s biggest trends: plant-based food options. This year’s menu will be 70% plant-based but most of the menu is still being kept under wraps. What we do know, however, is what cocktails will be served at the swanky event. And boy, will there be a lot of cocktails — 12,000 specialty cocktails to be exact. Over 2,000 bottles of Tequila Don Julio tequila will be used, 1,000 individually manicured orange peels will be created as garnishes and because being eco-conscious is of utmost importance, 1/2 mile of sustainable gold straws will be used to serve all of these cocktails.
Our friends at Tequila Don Julio actually gave us a little preview of three of the cocktails being served at this year’s Governors Ball and shared the recipes so you can create them at home. First up, the Nominees’ Negroni.
- 1 1/2 oz Tequila Don Julio Añejo
- 1 oz Italian Apéritif
- 1 oz Vermouth Blend*
- Dash of Orange Bitters
- Orange Twist for garnish
- *Vermouth Blend:Combine 4 parts Gewürztraminer wine and 1part American Amaro
- Combine Tequila Don Julio Añejo, Italian Apéritif, vermouth blend and orange bitters into a rocks glass over a large ice cube. Stir well.
- Garnish with an orange twist
The Hollywood Highball
- 1 1/2 oz Tequila Don Julio 70
- 3/4 oz Coconut Sugar Syrup
- 3/4 oz Medium Sherry
- 3 oz Chilled Soda Water
- Toasted Coconut for rim
- Dehydrated Pineapple Flower filled with Pickled Blueberries for garnish
- Combine Tequila Don Julio 70, coconut sugar syrup, medium sherry and chilled soda water into a Collins glass over fresh ice. Stir well.
- Garnish with a dehydrated pineapple flower and pickled blueberry.
When You Have Passion…
- 1 1/2 oz Tequila Don Julio Blanco
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 3/4 oz Agave Nectar
- 1/2 oz Passion Fruit Liqueur
- 1/16 oz Fresh Ginger Juice
- Combine Tequila Don Julio Blanco, fresh lime juice, agave nectar, passion fruit liqueur, and fresh ginger juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Strain contents into a 50ml Tequila Don Julio Blanco bottle and serve with a mini paper straw.
Enjoy your cocktails and make sure to come back on Sunday night for all of our live Oscars coverage!