We love it when a star breaks out, and right now that star is miso paste. You know the fermented soybean paste used to make the quiet soup you get with your sushi? It’s hopped out of the soup and is transforming every kind of dish, from roasted vegetables to desserts, with its salty umami goodness. Is there anywhere miso can’t go?
Here are a few cool tricks you can try with miso paste.
1. Mix miso into breakfast
- Start the day with Set the Table’s savory oatmeal with miso — and put an egg on it.
- You’d better believe we’d eat Martha Stewart’s miso-Sriracha deviled eggs for breakfast.
2. Dress a salad with miso
- Molly Yeh’s ginger-miso dressing has only five ingredients.
- When will people shut up about turmeric? Not until we’ve all made this miso-turmeric dressing.
- Stay cool with this sesame-miso cucumber salad.
3. Glaze with miso
- Miso plus a bit of sugar transforms into salty-sweet magic in this miso-glazed eggplant.
- Also wonderful are miso-glazed grilled zucchini, miso-glazed salmon and miso-glazed carrots.
4. Roast with miso
- The secret to making crispy miso-roasted chickpeas via Dinner with Julie is to pat the chickpeas dry with paper towels before tossing them with other ingredients.
- Goop’s winter 2017 cleanse meal plan includes miso sweet potatoes.
- Brush miso on cauliflower, acorn squash or Brussels sprouts and roast away.
5. Make a dip even better with miso
6. Stir-fry with miso
- Whip up some bok choy or asparagus stir-fry with a quick miso sauce.
7. What — spaghetti?!?
- Yes, miso even makes pasta taste better — with a little help from butter.
8. Make a sophisticated dessert with miso
- We have it on good authority that these miso macadamia blondies are so very extra.
- But there’s always this super-easy miso-caramel syrup to drizzle on vanilla or ginger ice cream. Or on both.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.