Crispy Buffalo chicken wings recipe
Tricia: Restaurant chicken wings are often coated with white flour and fried in vegetable oil. I like to bake my wings until they are super-crispy and then toss them in our vegetable-based Buffalo sauce. Chewing on chicken wings provides the body with a healthy amount of animal fat. Eating the meat off the bones helps support a healthy and flexible bone structure. You could eat bone broth for the same health benefits, but wings are so much more fun!
For the Buffalo sauce
Yields: 1 quart
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (6 ounces), medium dice
- 1 medium carrot (6 ounces), medium dice
- 1 large or 2 small red bell peppers (7 ounces), medium dice
- 2 stalks celery (5 ounces), medium dice
- 1/4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeds included), medium dice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add all the vegetables and sauté until soft but not brown (about 15 minutes). Add tomato paste, jalapeños, pepper flakes and cayenne. Stir for 30 seconds. Add vinegar, maple syrup and water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Pour the cooled mixture into the blender and purée on high until the mixture is smooth. Salt to taste.
For the “blue cheese” dipping sauce
Yields: 2 cups
- 1 cup (5 ounces) raw cashews
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Soak the cashews in water for 30 minutes. Purée in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until thoroughly incorporated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
For the Buffalo chicken wings
Yields: 4 servings
- 3 pounds chicken wings, tips removed and wings split
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- “Blue cheese” dipping sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with salt and canola oil. Spread the wings evenly on a parchment-covered sheet tray.
- Place the wings in a heated oven for 30 minutes. Turn the wings and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Wings should be golden brown and crunchy when they’re done.
- While wings are cooking, heat one cup of Buffalo sauce in a small saucepan.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with sauce and serve with blue cheese dipping sauce.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.