Make this purple sweet potato pie and you'll never do pumpkin again
The humble sweet potato pie often gets overlooked in favor of the popular pumpkin pie, but we've got a version that will turn heads. Check out our purple sweet potato pie. Get your hands on some Stokes Purples, because your Thanksgiving dessert game is never going to be the same.
Purple sweet potato pie recipe
For the pie
- 3 purple sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, brought to room temperature
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Graham cracker pie crust
For the topping
- 1 can cold full-fat coconut cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes and cover them in aluminum foil. Place them into the oven for 90 minutes or so, until thoroughly soft when pierced with a fork. Depending on the size of your potatoes, it may take less time. Let cool thoroughly, remove the skins and reserve the pulp for your filling. You should have about 2 cups.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Combine your cooked sweet potato along with the remaining pie filling ingredients. Use a hand mixer or potato masher to blend together all of the ingredients.
4. Pour your sweet potato filling into the formed crust.
5. Place the pie plate onto a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the filling is no longer jiggly and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
6. Meanwhile, whip the coconut cream with the powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Scoop it into a pastry bag and pipe it onto the pie or simply top slices with scoops of whipped coconut cream.
Check out the video below to see how it's all made.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.