How to get your hands on that Hello Kitty wine everyone's obsessed with
UPDATE: We now have a list of retailers! See list at the end of this article.
By now, you've probably been hit with Hello Kitty sparkling rose fever. You've heard that the character's creator, Sanrio, is collaborating with an Italian winemaker Torti. And you may have heard that the wine will be served exclusively at Antonello's Ristorante in Santa Ana, California.
But there's one thing we haven't heard much at all: Where the heck you can buy a bottle?
First, a little more info. Hello Kitty wine isn't new — the Hello Kitty wine collaboration started in 2007 and it's been in the U.S. since 2010. But there are two special bottles that people are especially excited about.
- Sweet Pink: a demi-sec rosé sparkling wine that comes in a 375-milliliter bottle with a gold-painted heart impressed in the glass.
- Rosè Collection: a sparkling rosé wine that comes with a special Hello Kitty pendant with Italian flag.
Gotta admit, I had my own Hello Kitty obsesh at one point, and I wouldn't say "no" to this bottle today.
Other wines in the collection include:
- Cupido: sparkling white wine
- Rosè: sparkling white wine
- Charmy: white vinification
- Lady: red wine
The wines are all either a blend of Chardonnay and Pinot noir or 100 percent Pinot noir. And they all come with licensed Hello Kitty labels. The Torti family told the LA Times that the wines are not limited edition, and they'll keep making them. So — Do. Not. Panic.
So, where can you get this wine? Antonello's has the sparkling brut, sparkling rosé and Sweet Pink, and you can buy bottles there. But we're not all living in the O.C. The one U.S. online retailer that was carrying it, Wine Country Gift Baskets, has sold out. But never fear — our contacts will be letting us know soon where else you can find the wine, and we will update this article as soon as we hear.
UPDATE: Here's where you can get the wine as of October 6, 2016:
- Pavilion’s – Beverly Hills, CA
- Wine Lab @ The CAMP – Costa Mesa, CA
- Ramirez Liquor, Wine & Kegs – downtown Los Angeles
- Tom’s Farms – Corona, CA
- The Cellar Bottle Shop – Whittier, CA
- Also available online at www.winebee.com
In the meantime, keep calm and drink sparkling rosé. Moët Chandon and Gruet each make a sparkling rosé that's lovely and available just about everywhere. And if you're looking for a rosé in a bottle pretty enough for a gift, there's Chloe Wine's Pinot noir-based blend, Monterey County Rosé.