These 'hotheaded' Frankenstein's monster pops are too cute to be scary
These happy little Frankenstein's monster pops don't seem to be bothered by having a bad hair day — they still manage to sneak in a smile. These cuties are easy to make and require only five ingredients plus the lollipop sticks.
Having some Styrofoam on hand is helpful so the pops can stand up while the candy coating sets and also when making a fun display of these edible creatures.
And what's a Frankenstein's monster pop without bolts coming out of his neck? But it's not like there are a lot of "candy bolts" available at the store. So what I used was candy sprinkles that were colored to look like metal. Can you tell what these bolts really are?
The "bolts" are actually candy Halloween spider sprinkles, but they were a great color for a metal "bolt." I guess spiders coming out of Frankenstein's neck are in line with Halloween, so why not?
Frankenstein's monster pops recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 2 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 52 minutes
- 12 large marshmallows, lightly roasted just on the top (for Frankenstein's hair)
- 1/2 cup vibrant green candy melts
- 24 candy eyeballs
- Edible color marker (black)
- 24 metallic-colored candy sprinkles (like these spider sprinkles, for the neck "bolts")
- 12 lollipop sticks
- Styrofoam (for propping the marshmallow pops upright)
- Poke the lollipop sticks into the bottoms of the marshmallows.
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add the candy melts, and melt them in the microwave according to the instructions.
- Pick the first marshmallow that was lightly roasted to start with, because it will be the coolest. Holding the bottom of the lollipop stick, tilt the marshmallow over the bowl with the melted candy coating, and carefully spoon (using a small spoon) the coating onto the marshmallow. Use the back of the spoon to smooth out the coating on the sides and bottom of the marshmallow.
- Add the eyes and candy sprinkles (for the neck "bolts").
- Set the pop securely in the Styrofoam so that it stands upright. When all the pops are done, chill them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so the candy coating sets.
- Using an edible color marker, draw the mouth, scars and eyebrows on the faces.
- These are best when served right away so that the roasted part of the marshmallows will stand up nicely. After a while, the roasted part of the marshmallow may sink in slightly.