Cheesy skillet sour cream enchiladas that are even faster than takeout
I recently decided to take my sour cream enchilada recipe and convert it to a skillet version. I must say that it turned out perfect and my daughter loved the results.
Of course, a good enchilada must include cheese — cheese inside and cheese on top! That is part of the reason my family loves them so much. We all LOVE cheese. The great thing is I have a great cheese from Cache Valley Cheese right here in my own beautiful home state.?
I am proud to be a born and raised Utahn and love being able to support Utah businesses when I can. It makes it so easy when you have amazing goodness like Cache Valley Cheese right in your back yard. My family particularly loves the Mild Cheddar.
Sour cream skillet chicken enchiladas
- 2 cups cooked and shredded or diced chicken
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3-4 green onions, sliced
- 3 cups Cache Valley Mild Cheddar Finely Shredded Cheese, divided
- 12 corn tortillas
- additional sour cream and chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet (use an oven-safe skillet if you plan to finish it in the oven), combine the chicken, soup, green chilies, sour cream, green onions and 1 cup of the cheese together. Heat on stove on medium heat until heated through.
- Remove 2-1/2 cups of the mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- Top the remaining mixture in the skillet with 6 of the corn tortillas followed by 1 cup of the cheese.
- Then top with 1-1/2 cups of the chicken mixture that you removed from the pan and the remaining 6 tortillas.
- Then finish with the last of the chicken mixture and the remaining cheese.
- Now, if you used an oven-safe skillet, turn on your broiler and place the skillet in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Or you can cover the skillet and allow to cook on the stove on medium-low until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 3 minutes and then serve.
- Garnish each serving with additional sour cream and chopped cilantro if desired.