Baked cherry-apple pies you can hold in your own hot little hands
This July 4, we're celebrating our independence from dishes with these individual, handheld apple and cherry pies — baked right inside the apple. Just core out an apple, fill with cherry pie filling, cover with pie crust, and bake. Aren't you a Yankee Doodle now?
Baked apple-cherry pie recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 apples
- 1 pie crust dough, rolled out
- 1/2 cup cherry pie filling
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cream
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a melon baller, scoop out the cores of the apples from the tops.
- Fill the apple cavities with cherry pie filling.
- Cut 3-inch circles from the pie crust.
- Cut out stars from the pie crust circles. Reserve the stars.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream.
- Brush the apples with the egg wash.
- Place a pie crust over the top of each apple, and brush the crusts with the egg wash. Place the stars onto the crusts.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below: