At our house, we’re on a mission to make better choices with the foods we eat and cook. That means more vegetables, fruits, lean meats and whole grains, as well as avoiding processed foods with additives, chemicals and hidden sugars. While we aren’t 100 percent perfect all of the time, we’re reading our food labels more than ever!
We loaded this easy three-meat pizza with all sorts of better-for-you toppings that are delicious, affordable and made from clean and simple ingredients. We topped a whole-wheat pizza dough with pizza sauce, low-fat cheese, lots of nutritious vegetables and HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Deli Ham, Oven Roasted Turkey and Original Uncured Bacon. This easy loaded pizza comes together quickly and bakes in just minutes (so much faster than waiting for pizza delivery!).
Easy three-meat pizza
Yields 2 pizzas (16 pieces total)
Total time: 40 minutes
- 20 ounces whole-wheat pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) package HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Original Uncured Bacon
- 1 medium onion, sliced thick vertically (cut in half then slice)
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into thick rings
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound skim-milk, shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 1 (7-ounce) package HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Oven Roasted Turkey, cut into half-inch squares
- 1 (7-ounce) package HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Deli Ham, cut into half-inch squares
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano, divided
- Flour to dust your counter or board
- Cornmeal to dust a pizza peel
- Remove dough from refrigerator and divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Place one tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat and lay out HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Original Uncured Bacon strips. Cook and turn until just short of fully-cooked. (Cooked but still a little chewy). Drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon fat. Keep an additional 1 tablespoon of bacon fat, set aside, and discard the rest or save for other recipes.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and cook the onions and peppers for about ten minutes or until slightly caramelized on the onions and browned on the peppers. Pour out into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the 1 reserved tablespoon of bacon fat into the pan and raise the heat to high. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until browned. Remove from heat and reserve in a small bowl.
- Place a pizza stone in the bottom rack of your oven and preheat the oven to its highest temperature. Ours was set to 550 degrees F.
- Dust your counter or board with four and roll out one dough at a time, stretching to 12-14 inches. Let the dough rest in between stretches to relax the dough so it stretches easier.
- Dust the pizza peel with cornmeal and place the rolled-out dough on top of the corn meal.
- Place half the sauce on the dough coming just shy of the edge.
- Sprinkle one quarter of the mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Place half the tomato slices over the cheese and top with half of the cooked onions, peppers and mushrooms.
- Top with half of the cooked HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Bacon, half of the diced HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Oven Roasted Turkey, and half of the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Deli Ham.
- Top with another 1/4 of the cheese.
- Sprinkle half of the dry oregano over the top and drizzle with half of the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Slide onto the pizza stone and cook for 5-7 minutes. Depending on how hot your oven gets and how crisp you like your crust, the cooking time will vary. I took mine out after 6 minutes.
- Repeat for the second dough, topping as before, and place on pizza stone for the same cooking time.
- Cut both pizzas into 6 or 8 pieces.
This post is sponsored by the makers of the HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® brand.