Sopa de fideo is the Latino chicken soup you want your grandma to make you
When I was younger, the one dish my mom used to make whenever I had a stomachache or fever was sopa de fideo con pollo. It’s a Latin American-style version of chicken noodle soup. The recipe is loaded with veggies (onions, pepper, carrots, celery), chicken, ham and angel hair pasta. While there were those rare occasions when I wanted the boxed chicken noodle soup, there was always a smile on my face when I saw a bowl of sopa de fideo con pollo in my mom's hand.
As I got older, I started making this super-simple recipe myself, not only when I was sick, but on any night when I want to feel soothed and cozy.
Sopa de fideo con pollo recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound cooked ham or chorizo, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 packet Sazón con achiote
- 4 tablespoons sofrito
- 8 ounces fideo pasta (you can substitute with capellini or angel hair pasta)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- To a large pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, chopped onion, green bell pepper, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped ham, chicken and potatoes. Stir to combine, and sauté until the ham and chicken are browned through, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock, and stir to combine. Season with the Sazón, sofrito, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the pasta, and cover the pot with a lid. Let the soup simmer for 15 minutes.