I love, love, love s’mores. Chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows — that’s all you need. But when the inspiration hits, I can’t help experimenting with the classic. Enter the s’mores ice cream sandwich.
I made my own graham cracker cookies for this recipe, but you can also use store-bought graham cracker cookies if you’re on a time crunch. Dip the cookies into melted chocolate, add marshmallow fluff and chocolate ice cream, and the recipe is all set.
Softening the ice cream first, spreading it out on a cookie sheet, freezing it and then cutting out a disk the same shape as your cookie is an ice cream sandwich hack we got from Anna Gordon, baker and owner of The Good Batch bakery in Brooklyn.
S’mores ice cream cookie sandwich recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 7 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 12 minutes
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients for the cookie sandwich:
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 graham cracker cookies
- 2 scoops (about 1/3 cup each) chocolate ice cream, softened
- 4 tablespoons marshmallow fluff
Directions for the cookies:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To a bowl, add the butter and sugars, and beat with a hand mixer on low until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the egg, vanilla and milk.
- Add in the flour, graham cracker crumbs and baking soda. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- To a prepared baking sheet, add the dough by the tablespoon about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 5 – 7 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes.
Directions for the cookie sandwich:
- Spread softened ice cream in a 1-1/2-inch layer over a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Cut out ice cream disks with a cookie cutter, and keep in the freezer until ready to use.
- To a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for 1 minute 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip 1 side of each graham cracker cookie into the melted chocolate.
- Let the chocolate on the cookies set.
- Once the chocolate has set, on the chocolate side of each cookie, place 1 ice cream disk.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of marshmallow fluff over each ice cream disk.
- Cover each ice cream- and marshmallow fluff-topped cookie with a remaining cookie, chocolate side in.
- Cover each sandwich with cling wrap, and freeze until ready to serve.
Check out our super-duper smarty-pants pro cookie baking tips!