Day 3: Seared cabbage with warm bacon dressing and eggs recipe
- Small cabbage, cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 package bacon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Eggs (quantity up to you)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high.
- Chop the bacon, cook until well done, and remove from the pan.
- Cook the cabbage in the remaining grease, tossing well to coat, until it begins to brown. Add the apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, and cook for a minute to warm through. Divide among 4 bowls, and put the rest aside for seconds.
- Cook the eggs over easy, place them on top of the cabbage, and then sprinkle with bacon.
- To eat, pierce the yolk with your fork, and toss together with the warm cabbage.
Day 4: Rigatoni with shredded pork and arugula recipe
- 1/3 shredded pork
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 clamshell baby arugula
- Olive oil
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt it heavily, and cook the rigatoni while preparing the sauce.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the pork, toss well, and allow to brown slightly. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, and then transfer to a large bowl. Add the arugula and cheese.
- Drain the rigatoni, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water. Place the pasta in the bowl with the arugula, cheese and pork, and toss well. Add some of the pasta cooking water to thin as necessary. Season with salt and more cheese, to taste.
More: 5-Day Meal Plan: Italian and Middle Eastern twists on chicken and veggies
Day 5: Breakfast tostadas recipe
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 package bacon, chopped
- Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, greens and whites separated
- 10 eggs
- Avocado (optional)
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- Leftover fixings from day 1’s pork tacos
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Using a pastry brush, generously slather the tortillas with olive oil on both sides. Bake for 5 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until brown, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Drain the grease from the skillet, and then sauté the garlic and scallion greens in the leftover fat coating the pan until golden.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until pale yellow. Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium-low, add the eggs and bacon, and scramble until barely set. Divide among the tortillas, top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and place in the oven until the cheese is slightly melted.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and leftover taco fixings.