Day 1: Pork carnitas tacos with pickled red onions recipe
- 1/3 of the slow-cooked pork shoulder
- 1 – 2 teaspoons each garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1 bunch scallions (about 4)
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a small bowl, toss together the red onion, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar. Cover with plastic wrap, cut a small slit in the top, and microwave for 4 minutes. Allow to sit and pickle while you prepare the rest of dinner.
- Heat a cast-iron or nonstick skillet on high, and brush with a bit of oil. When the oil is smoking, spread all the pork across the bottom of the pan, season with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder, and press down with the back of a spatula. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat (use a skillet if you don’t have a grill pan). Cut the scallions in half, separating the whites from the greens. Toss all the scallions in a bit of oil, salt and pepper, and then cook until they begin to char. Remove the scallions, and turn down the heat to medium. Heat the tortillas 1 minute per side so they become pliable.
- Zest and juice 1 of the limes, and mix with the sour cream. Cut the other lime into wedges.
- Fill the tortillas with the crisped pork, and top with chopped cilantro, pickled onions, charred scallions, sliced avocado and lime crema. Serve with lime wedges on the side. Save any unused sides for breakfast tostadas.
Day 2: Carolina pulled pork sandwiches with avocado-black pepper coleslaw recipe
- 1/3 of the cooked pork shoulder
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Coleslaw mix
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Leftover avocado slices from day 1
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, mustard, ketchup and hot sauce, and stir until combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pork, and toss until heated through.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the white vinegar, leftover avocado, salt and black pepper. Whisk until smooth, then toss with the coleslaw mix.
- Split the rolls, and top with pork. Serve with coleslaw and additional sauce on the side.
Keep reading for more recipes.