We've got your easy Memorial Day weekend dessert: Patriotic icebox cake
Know what would be so fine for your Memorial Day weekend cookout? Ice cream sandwiches. But guess what would be even better! This patriotic icebox cake... made with ice cream sandwiches. Oh say can you see how easy this treat will be?
Grab some red, white and blue jimmies, and let's go make this ice cream cake.
Patriotic icebox cake recipe
- 24 ice cream sandwiches
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 8 drops red food coloring
- 5 drops blue food coloring
- 1 cup white, red and blue jimmy sprinkles (these are less likely to bleed color than other types)
- 1 (9 x 13-inch) pan
- 2 sheets parchment paper
- 1 sparkler
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to create whipped cream, mixing till thick.
- In one bowl, place 1/2 the whipped cream, and add the food coloring to create red whipped cream. In a second bowl, place the remaining whipped cream and add food coloring to create blue whipped cream.
- Unwrap all the ice cream sandwiches.
- Place the parchment paper in the pan to make removing the cake easier.
- Press the sides of the ice cream sandwiches into the sprinkles, and place them in the pan to create the first layer. You may need to cut the ice cream sandwiches to get them to fill your pan.
- Spread the red whipped cream on top of the ice cream sandwiches.
- Repeat step 5 to create the second layer.
- Spread the blue whipped cream across the tops of the ice cream sandwiches.
- Place in freezer for at least 2 hours.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.