Grilled shrimp sushi burrito recipe, for when you're in the mood for both
Have you noticed how sushi burritos are taking the nation by storm? There are entire restaurants dedicated to churning out all kinds of variations on the trendy mashup.
This recipe is sort of a riff on the California roll (just with grilled shrimp), but you can truly make any combination you want. To this recipe you can add shredded napa cabbage or even go with shrimp tempura instead of grilled shrimp.
Your sushi burrito combo options are endless. Play around with different ingredients, and see what works best for you.
Grilled shrimp sushi burrito recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 10 – 20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked sushi rice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 4 nori sheets
- Soy sauce, for serving
- Ginger, thinly sliced, for serving
- For the grilled shrimp: In a bowl, season your shrimp with salt and pepper to taste and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Skewer your shrimp: Add 1 skewer near the end of the shrimp, and another skewer at the head of the shrimp. Continue skewering the shrimp until about 4 are on the skewer, about an inch apart.
- To your grill pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the grill pan is hot enough, add in the shrimp skewers.
- Cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side, until they are pink with grill marks. Take them off the grill, and set aside.
- For the sushi burrito: To your bowl of cooked rice, add the vinegar, sugar and salt to taste.
- Thinly slice your avocado, and julienne your cucumber and carrots.
- Place 1 sheet of nori onto your sushi roller.
- Wash your hands in lukewarm water, then add a few tablespoons of sushi rice to the nori, making sure the sushi rice is well spread.
- Add 4 grilled shrimp 1 inch from the bottom of the nori sheet, along with a few slices of avocado, cucumber and carrots.
- Using your sushi mat, roll your sushi burrito, and then cut it in half.
- Serve with soy sauce and slices of ginger.