How to make Bulletproof-style coffee a vegan would love
Bulletproof Coffee is having a moment right now in many health food circles. There’s some science behind why Bulletproof Coffee is better than using dairy creamer with coffee: Essentially the healthy fats you add (grass-fed butter and Brain Octane oil, if you're making the official branded stuff) instead of the creamer burn more slowly, releasing steady energy so you don’t crash and also don’t get the jitters.
For me, there’s just one problem with Bulletproof Coffee: I hate the way clarified butter, or ghee, tastes with my coffee.
So if you also hate the taste of ghee or are a vegan looking to fulfill your Bulletproof Coffee fix at home, this is for you. If you have virgin coconut oil, coffee and a blender, this will be exceedingly easy.
Easy vegan Bulletproof Coffee recipe
Prep time: 2 minutes I Cook time: 5 – 10 minutes I Total time: 7 – 12 minutes
- 1 cup coffee, black
- 1 heaping teaspoon coconut oil
- Sweetener of your choice (optional)
- Once you’ve brewed your favorite kind of coffee, pour it into a blender.
- Add the coconut oil to the blender, and then add the sweetener, if using.
- Blend until frothy (and man, will it froth!), about 30 seconds.
- Pour into your mug of choice. That’s it!
This is so easy and so delicious — my favorite way to take my coffee — but it is best with a higher-quality, extra-virgin coconut oil (I get mine at Trader Joe's) to really give your coffee flavor.
Before you go, check out 37 green smoothies and juice blends you'll actually want to drink.