If you looked into my refrigerator, you’d probably think there is a family of six hiding somewhere in my house. Thanks to my trusty BJ’s membership, there are ginormous bags of Brussels sprouts, broccoli, broccoli slaw, carrots, celery and snow peas. I go a little nuts in the produce department on a weekly basis.
More: Skillet chili pie
This is great for the first few days after the shopping trip — I have options! Then reality sets in about four to five days later, when this ridiculous amount of produce starts the downward spiral of its life span, and I realize there are really just two people (not six) that have to eat all of it.
This skillet meal was born out of one of the epiphany moments lately. Hard to complain, though, when the result is a 20-minute dinner that rivals takeout and one of the giant-size bags of produce is finished off. Win-win.
Skillet Asian beef with snow peas and mushrooms recipe
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound thinly sliced steak (flank steak, London broil, etc.)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 10 ounces snow peas
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar. Whisk, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, place 1 tablespoon of the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, and cook, tossing a few times, until they start to brown and give off their liquid. Add the snow peas at this point, and continue cooking for another 2 – 3 minutes, until softened. Transfer to a plate, and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, and place 1/2 the steak in the pan so that each piece is lying flat and the pieces are not crowded. Cook on 1 side until browned, about 1 – 2 minutes, flip, and brown on the other side. Transfer the steak to the plate with the mushrooms and snow peas.
- Add the last tablespoon of oil to the skillet, and brown the remaining steak the same way.
- Once browned, add the other 1/2 of the steak, mushrooms and snow peas back into the skillet. Pour the sauce into the pan, stir to coat, and let cook on high for 2 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Remove from the heat, and serve with cooked rice.