One-pan roasted lemon salmon with asparagus, because you forgot about dinner
There are some nights I'm driving home from the gym around 8:15 p.m. and thinking about how much of an idiot I was to not think about dinner before this very moment. This moment in which I could eat my entire pantry because I just lifted all the weights in the gym for the past two hours of my life. Yeah, that one.
That's the same moment when the pizza place precisely 1 mile from my house suddenly becomes incredibly convenient, and I play the "well, you totally just worked out for two hours, you deserve it" vs. the "don't do it, those two hours of working out will have been for nothing!" game in my head.
More: Saffron poached salmon
It's nights like these when one-pan dinners are literally a lifesaver. After ordering 40 pounds of Alaskan salmon to split with my brother recently, I really have no excuse to let the pizza place win that game for quite some time. This lemon-roasted asparagus and salmon dinner is ready in just about 20 minutes. Serve it with rice (those minute microwave bags are the best), and you've got a complete meal.
One-pan roasted lemon, asparagus and salmon dinner recipe
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 salmon fillets, skins on
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and grease with baking spray.
- Place the salmon fillets skin side down in the center of the baking sheet.
- Arrange the asparagus on each side of the salmon.
- Season the salmon generously with salt and pepper and then with the onion powder and ground mustard.
- Season the asparagus with salt and pepper as well.
- Place 2 slices of lemon on each salmon fillet and a few slices on the asparagus as well.
- Roast for 10 – 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon, until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, and serve hot.