Black bean burgers are a vegetarian's dream come true
Meat-free burgers can be a tasty option when you use black beans as the base and add other veggies for extra flavor. Served with a side of Bush's Southern Pit Barbecue Beans, this is the perfect summer meal.
Black bean burger recipe
- 2 cans Bush’s black beans
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat your skillet to medium-low.
- Drain your black beans.
- Mash them with a fork. Resist the urge to use a hand mixer or food processor — you don’t want the beans to become a paste.
- Add the breadcrumbs, egg and spices, and then mix.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and corn, and mix.
- Create your patties.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan.
- Place the patties on the skillet, and cook on each side for 5 – 7 minutes. You want to heat the pan to medium-high, then turn down to medium-low so the insides get warm without burning the outsides.
- If preferred, serve with cheese and a bun.
This post was sponsored by Bush's Beans.