Meatless Monday: Roasted asparagus and lemon bring spring flavor to pizza
This time of year, asparagus is everywhere you turn. Take advantage of what the season brings, and add it as a topping to a pizza. It's fresh, fun and flavorful.
On a Meatless Monday, it’s not difficult to come up with a vegetarian-style pizza. But this roasted asparagus and lemon pizza is something you won’t likely find at the pizza shop on the corner.
Roasting asparagus is easy, and it makes the seasonal produce taste so great. I’ve added it along with lots of lemon flavor (juice, zest and thin slices) to this pizza for a springtime vibe. Get it while it’s hot and while spring is still in the air.
Roasted asparagus and lemon pizza recipe
Serves 2 – 4
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3-1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 3 – 4 very thin slices lemon
- Salt, to season
- 1 pound prepared refrigerated pizza dough
- 4 ounces hard Parmesan cheese, shaved into strips, divided
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Flour for your work surface
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet, place the asparagus. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice, and season with a bit of salt.
- Roast in the oven, turning a few times, for about 10 minutes or until you begin to see the asparagus turn slightly dark. Remove, and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature according to the package directions for the pizza dough.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour. Roll the pizza dough out into a 10-inch disk, and transfer to a round baking sheet.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the pizza dough.
- Add 1/2 the shaved Parmesan to the pizza dough, and then 1/2 of the grated Parmesan.
- Place the asparagus spears around the dough in a circular pattern. If the spears are too long, trim them, and scatter the small pieces around the dough.
- Add the thin lemon slices to the center of the pizza. Add the remaining shaved Parmesan and the grated Parmesan on top of the asparagus.
- Season with the grated lemon, ground black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Bake according to the package directions or until the pizza crust is golden.
- Serve warm.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.