Just thinking about these chicken sliders can make my mouth water. A bit of bourbon, a bit of spice and the sticky sweetness that holds it all together are the stuff these sliders are made of. Break out the slow cooker to easily make these to serve for Sunday supper.
It can’t get any easier to get a lip-smacking, hearty little sandwich together. Break out the slow cooker for this one, folks. The recipe is so simple, and it basically makes itself.
Sweet-and-spicy bourbon chicken sliders are perfect served with a salad or slaw and maybe even beans and chips on the side. Double the recipe for a bigger crowd, or follow these directions to easily feed four in your group.
Slow cooker sweet-and-spicy bourbon chicken sliders
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours 20 minutes | Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup ketchup plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Slider buns, sliced in half
- Turn the slow cooker to high heat. Add the chicken pieces to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the bourbon, 1/4 cup of ketchup, vinegar, mustard, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons of honey, onion powder, garlic powder, red chili flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Mix to combine, cover with the lid, and cook on high heat for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, and use 2 forks shred it. Add the remaining ketchup and 1 tablespoon of honey to the slow cooker.
- To a small bowl, add the cornstarch. Add 1 tablespoon of water, and mix until smooth. Add this mixture into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove, and serve the chicken on the slider buns.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.