Slow Cooker Sunday: Pineapple salsa chicken makes delish burrito bowls
Chicken is a go-to dinner ingredient, at least in my house. You can use it in just about any dish or meal, making it a great source of protein. One of my favorite (and easiest) ways to cook it is in my slow cooker.
This effortless recipe is so versatile and super flavorful. I slow-cooked the chicken in diced canned tomatoes, chili peppers and taco seasonings. Once the chicken is cooked completely, I like to shred it and then add it back to the cooker with salsa. In this recipe I used a sweet and slightly spicy salsa full of onions and pineapples. This definitely isn’t a bland dish.
Use this chicken to pile on a salad, in your tacos or burritos or as pictured, over steamed brown rice for an easy burrito bowl.
Slow cooker pineapple salsa chicken recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 cups store-bought pineapple salsa
- Steamed brown rice or quinoa
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the salsa.
- Mix gently, and cover the pot with the lid. Set to cook on low for 4 hours.
- After about 3-1/2 hours, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Shred the chicken with 2 forks, and return it to the slow cooker.
- Add the pineapple salsa to the slow cooker, and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve the chicken warm over rice. Top with desired toppings, and serve with tortilla chips.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.