We’re going to show you how, with a few simple ingredients, you can create a tasty chicken pie that will have your friends or family thinking you slaved over the stove for hours. Good, tasty food doesn’t have to be complicated and needn’t take too long to prepare either. With our handy tips, we’ll help you cut down on preparation time without compromising on quality.
Chicken, bacon and leek pot pie recipe
Makes 4 individual pies or 1 large
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek
- 200 grams bacon lardons
- 500 grams chicken
- 1 tin Campbell’s condensed mushroom soup
- Olive oil (for frying – approx. 1 tsp)
- Large knob of butter (optional)
Time saving hack: you can find ready-made mash and chopped leeks in the prepared vegetable or freezer section of most major supermarkets. A pack of around 400g of mashed potato is sufficient and you will need around 100g of ready chopped leeks. Buy diced bacon lardons and chicken so the preparation is already done for you.
- Set the oven to 180 degrees C (Gas Mark 4).
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the chopped leek. Fry until softened.
- Whilst the leek cooks, add the chopped potatoes to a large pan of boiling water. Boil for around 30 minutes or until soft.
- Add the bacon lardons to the leek and continue to fry until the bacon begins to brown.
- Next add the diced chicken and cook through, turning the pieces regularly to ensure they cook on both sides.
- Add the can of condensed soup to the pan and stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Whilst the pie mixture simmers, drain the potatoes and mash them with a large knob of butter.
- Transfer the pie mix to either 1 large or 4 individual pie dishes and top with the mashed potato.
- Use a fork lightly to make straight, wavy or diagonal lines across the top of the mash before transferring the pie(s) to the oven and cooking until the potato is browned (around 20 minutes).