Meatless Monday: Kale and sweet potato stir-fry for a superfood meal
I like to think that kale and sweet potatoes are the perfect combo. When I tossed them up with this sweet orange sauce, I knew things couldn't get much better. Served with rice or quinoa, this stir-fry makes a delicious meatless meal.
I hate it when I’ve had a busy day and dinnertime rolls around without a good idea (or much time) for dinner. That’s when the takeout menus appear. But it doesn’t have to be that way when you have just the few ingredients you need to make this Meatless Monday kale and sweet potato stir-fry with orange sauce.
A sweet-and-spiced sauce goes perfectly with colorful veggies in this easy-to-make dish. I spiral-cut the sweet potato to keep cooking time down (if you don’t have a spiral slicer, dice the sweet potato, and prepare it the same way as the spiral, but cook for maybe a few minutes longer). This dish is perfect on a busy night and even as a leisurely meal. Colors and flavors combine for a tasty meal that won’t take much of your effort or time to make.
Kale and sweet potato stir-fry with orange sauce recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or hot sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, spiral-cut
- 4 cups (packed) kale leaves (remove the stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cooked rice, to serve with the stir-fry
- Black sesame seeds, as garnish (optional)
- Combine the vegetable broth, orange juice, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and orange zest. Whisk to combine. A little at a time, add the cornstarch to the mixture while whisking. Set aside.
- To a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the coconut oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for 3 – 4 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 – 5 minutes or until they begin to soften and brown slightly.
- Stir the liquid mixture, then add it to the skillet, and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, add the kale leaves and the salt and pepper. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the kale turns bright green and softens.
- Serve warm with rice. Garnish with the sesame seeds if using.