We have huge Star Wars fans at our house. Pretty much everything Star Wars is acceptable. In preparation for Easter later this month, I made the kids some of their favorite characters in sugar cookie form.
Evil Darth Vader and his minion Stormtroopers needed a little something extra — bunny ears! I know you Star Wars purists will object, but we think they are pretty darn cute — not to mention delicious!
Add some of these fun cookies to your Easter baskets, and make your little Star Wars fans smile.
Star Wars character sugar cookies with bunny ears recipe
Adapted from Sweet Phi
You can use store-bought cookie dough to speed up the process and use tinted royal icing in place of the pink and black melted candy wafers.
Yields about 20 cookies
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- Pearl, black, purple and yellow edible food spray, like Wilton’s Color Mist (Alternatively you can use food gels in similar colors. Add 2 – 3 drops of each color to 1 teaspoon clear vanilla. Mix well, and use this as paint for your cookies.)
- 1/2 cup pink candy melting wafers
- 1 cup black candy melting wafers
- Star Wars cookie cutters (I used these cutters for Stormtroopers and Darth Vader)
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, baking powder and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly add the flour and salt until combined. Use your hands to form into 2 balls.
- On a slightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut out the Star Wars character shapes. Using a knife, cut out 2 ears for each character.
- Add the shapes to a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Add the ears to each character, and press slightly so the ears attach to the larger cookie.
- Freeze the cookies on the sheet for 10 minutes.
- Bake in an oven heated to 350 degrees F for 10 minutes (or until the edges just start to look tan or brown). Do not overbake.
- Once the cookies have cooled, spray Darth Vader with black food spray and Stormtroopers with pearl food spray. Cover the ears with a napkin so you don’t spray them too.
- When the color has dried, spray the ears purple or yellow. Cover the heads with a napkin so you don’t spray the heads too.
- Add the pink candy wafers to a zip-lock freezer bag, and microwave in 15-second intervals until the candy is just melted. Snip a corner off the bag, and pipe pink color onto each ear. Let the candy harden for 10 minutes.
- Add the black candy wafers to a zip-lock freezer bag, and microwave in 15-second intervals until the candy is just melted. Snip a corner off the bag, and pipe black outlines/filled-in sections of the cookie cutouts for character details. Let the candy harden for 10 minutes.
More fun food crafts
Make Mickey and Minnie Mouse ear whoopie pies for your favorite Disney fan
Channel your inner chi to make the cutest Kung Fu Panda candies
Too-cute terrarium pudding cups you won’t believe are completely edible