Chrissy Teigen's cookbook Cravings: Just as sweet and salty as she is
She's already won us over with her chic pregnancy style and witty social media presence. Now swimsuit model Chrissy Teigen is winning over our stomachs too by proving her killer cooking skills in the new Cravingscookbook.
Cravings is filled with "recipes for all the food you want to eat," from Southern-cooked meals to eclectic Asian fusion. Ironically Teigen was inspired to create the cookbook after posting pics of homemade food on social media — a place where she's well-known for sharing funny and (occasionally) salty thoughts. It only seemed fitting, then, to share some recipes that will satisfy those "sweet-and-salty" hankerings that happen all too often!
French toast casserole with salted Frosted Flakes recipe
This isn't your average casserole. Instead, this French toast recipe comes with "magical powers" that are sure to please your "inner-fat-kid madness," as Teigen puts it. The bread acts as your base and will need to soak overnight for total deliciousness. To top it all off, the recipe calls for Frosted Flakes mixed with salt and butter (aka our three favorite things).
Prep time: 15 minutes | Refrigerate and rest time: 6 hours 30 minutes | Bake Time: 50-55 minutes | Total time: 7 hours 35 minutes
For the base
- 1 tablespoon softened butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 1-pound loaf French bread, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes (stale or day-old is fine)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish (or a tall-sided 12-inch ovenproof skillet), and arrange the cubed bread in the dish.
- In a big bowl, whisk the eggs to combine, then whisk in the heavy cream, milk, rum, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until smooth. Pour the mixture over the bread, and press on the bread to help soak it in the custard. Refigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 12.
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F. Take the casserole out of the fridge, and let it sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
For the topping
- 3 cups Frosted Flakes cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a bowl, combine the cereal, melted butter and salt, and toss to coat. Spread the mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the bread cubes peeking out of the top are crusty and toasty, 50 – 55 minutes.
Salted peanut butter, caramel and grapes on toast recipe
For those smaller cravings, Teigen included a page of "Sh*t On Toast" featuring eight simple but flavorful recipes to top your toast. The beauty of these easy recipes is that they can be enjoyed all day, from breakfast to snack time to appetizers before dinner.
Prep time: 5 minutes
- Creamy peanut butter
- Caramel sauce
- Salted peanuts
- Grapes, sliced
- Flaky sea salt
- Mix equal parts creamy peanut butter and jarred caramel sauce.
- Spread on toast, and top with chopped salted peanuts and sliced grapes.
- Finish off with flaky sea salt.
Excerpted from Cravings by Chrissy Teigen. Copyright © 2016 Penguin Random House LLC, New York. Reprinted with permission from Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC, New York. All rights reserved.