In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, make these mini candy pots of gold filled with cookie “coins” and gold sprinkles. They are a perfect little treat if you want to lure in any leprechauns looking for their gold.
I love all the green and gold St. Patrick’s Day goodies that show up all over the Internet and sharing sites in March.
This year I made some some mini pots of gold from a candy mold and some melted black candy wafers. I also had some vanilla Mini Oreo cookies and thought they would make perfect little gold coins when sprayed with some gold edible food spray.
Wrap with a band of black licorice, and your pots of gold are ready to go. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Edible pots of gold recipe
You can use chocolate chips in place of black candy wafers, and you can also use different silicone molds or ice cube trays to make the bases of the pots.
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups black candy melts, divided
- 12 pieces black licorice string (each long enough to circle the candy pot)
- 1 bag vanilla Mini Oreos
- Gold sprinkles (optional)
- Gold edible food spray (such as Wilton’s Color Mist)
- Plastic candy mold (I used the bottom of this mold)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup of black candy wafers in 25-second intervals. Stir in between intervals until the candy is just melted.
- Using a butter knife, spread the candy along the bottom and sides of the plastic mold. Reapply as needed if the layer seems too thin (or you can see through it).
- Let the candy harden for 30 minutes (you can place it in the freezer for 5 minutes to speed up the process).
- Pop the molded candy out of the mold (similar to removing ice from an ice cube tray).
- Repeat steps 1 – 4 until you have 12 pots. Melt additional candy wafers as needed.
- Cut a length of black licorice that will fit around the pot. Using some of the melted black candy, apply it to the length of the licorice. Wrap it around the pot, and hold it in place until the candy hardens (about 5 minutes).
- Spray the Mini Oreos with the gold edible spray. Let dry 5 – 10 minutes. Repeat on the opposite sides.
- Add the cookies to the pots, and sprinkle the pots with more gold sprinkles (optional).