A classic Tuscan peasant’s dish can make its way into your own kitchen with this simple recipe.
Called salsicce e fagioli in Italian, this sausage and bean dish is a classic comfort food recipe using common ingredients that are easy to get at your local supermarket. While the sausages simmer with the tomatoes and beans, the flavors intensify to a rich and hearty dish. For a quick and nutritious dinner, give this quick and easy recipe a try, and make it your next family favorite. Serve it with some warm, toasted sourdough bread, and enjoy.
Tuscan sausage and beans in tomato sauce recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 6 fresh sausages, divided into 2 – 4 pieces
- 2 (14-ounce) cans precooked borlotti beans (or similar, like pinto)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- In a medium to large saucepan over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil, sauté the garlic until fragrant, and then add the sausages. Sauté them until they are cooked through.
- Add the canned tomatoes, and cook for about 25 minutes or until reduced by at least half.
- Add the beans and sage, and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil before serving. Serve hot.