Goat cheese gnocchi with asparagus in lemon sauce recipe
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
For the lemon sauce
- 2 fresh lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
For the gnocchi
- 8 ounces softened goat cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Parsley and extra Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce, mix well, and then set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the goat cheese, flour, Parmesan, eggs and seasonings, mixing well.
- Mix until a soft dough forms, then turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 4 large pieces, and roll them into ropes about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut each rope into the desired sized of gnocchi, and either roll them to give them their gnocchi shape by using the back of a fork, or keep them as they are.
- Place the cut gnocchi on a floured baking sheet in the refrigerator until ready to cook them.
- To cook the gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi to the boiling water, and let them cook until they float to the top, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil, asparagus and the garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Add in the boiled gnocchi and the prepared lemon sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Plate, and serve warm with extra grated Parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish.