If there’s any niche diet I’m furthest from in my eating style, it’s vegan. However, the first time I tried cashew cream sauce, I was immediately hooked. I shouldn’t have been surprised, really, considering cashews are one of my favorite nuts, but I was still in shock that a nut could turn into a deliciously creamy and decadent sauce that rivals even the best dairy products.
Once you learn a basic cashew cream sauce (like in this recipe), you can start playing around with a bunch of different flavors too. Add some red pepper flakes for heat, cinnamon for sweetness, herbs for a bright kick — the list goes on and on and on. We’re keeping things simple today, but that doesn’t mean this pasta dish isn’t packed with garlicky flavor and savory goodness from those caramelized mushrooms. This is a Meatless Monday dish that definitely won’t leave you missing the meat.
Creamy garlic herb mushroom angel hair pasta skillet recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 2 hours | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- 1 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a bowl, place the cashews, and cover with water. Let soak for at least 2 hours.
- Drain the cashews, and place them in a food processor. Add the water, salt and 1 clove of minced garlic. Process until very smooth. Season to taste, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and olive oil to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the remaining clove of garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, toss to coat in the oil and butter, and let cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the pasta to the pan. Toss until combined.
- Remove from the heat, pour the cashew sauce on top, and toss until well combined.
- Add the parsley, toss once more, and serve immediately.