Slow Cooker Sunday: Spinach-artichoke mac and cheese is dip turned dinner
Spinach-artichoke dip was the inspiration for this super-easy slow cooker macaroni and cheese recipe. It's a great way to sneak in some vegetables for your picky eaters, but it doesn't sacrifice the flavor of traditional mac and cheese that we love so much.
Artichoke hearts and fresh spinach are blended with three cheeses, sour cream, garlic and nutmeg for a decadent spin on your favorite creamy dip.
While I kept this version vegetarian friendly for my family, this is also super delicious with diced chicken. You can even make it easier on yourself and pick up a rotisserie chicken from your deli and simply shred it. Just add the cooked chicken in with the pasta so it heats through.
Slow cooker spinach-artichoke mac and cheese recipe
Serves 6 – 8
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 (16-ounce) box dried pasta
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the pasta, cream cheese, sour cream, butter, evaporated milk and seasonings.
- Mix well, and place the lid on the cooker. Set the cooker to cook on low for 4 hours.
- After about 3 hours, stir the macaroni and cheese, and add in the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Cook for an additional hour or until all the cheese has melted and the spinach is wilted.
- Spoon into bowls, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and extra grated Parmesan cheese.
- Best when served warm.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.