This hearty casserole gets a vegetarian makeover but doesn’t sacrifice anything in the flavor department.
Swap the meat in this vegan version of shepherd’s pie with veggies, lentils and beans. They all get cooked together in a light sauce, and don’t forget that potato topping. I used homemade garlic mashed potatoes to add even more flavor to this comfort food dish.
Vegan shepherd’s pie recipe
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
For the potatoes
- 3 – 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup great northern beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 envelope vegan mushroom gravy
- 1/4 cup dairy-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, place the potatoes, and cover them with water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes, and use a potato masher to mash them to desired creaminess. Add in the remaining ingredients for the potatoes, mash well, and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a pot or a deep skillet, add the oil, onions, broccoli, lentils and beans, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Transfer the filling to the baking dish, and top with the potatoes, spreading them evenly.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the potatoes start to turn golden brown. Serve warm, garnished with parsley.