Make Mickey and Minnie Mouse ear whoopie pies for your favorite Disney fan
Who doesn't love Mickey and Minnie Mouse? Make a fun treat inspired by Disney's favorite characters in whoopie pie form. These sweet sandwiches are shaped like mouse ears with a delicious marshmallow creme filling inside and are decorated just like the famous Disney duo.
Ever since we went to Disney World a couple of years ago, I've been a little obsessed with all that is Mickey and Minnie Mouse. There is just something about those iconic ears that make me smile every time I see them.
I also really love whoopie pies. They are perfect little combinations of cakey cookie and creamy filling. A mashup of Disney's mouse ears and whoopie pies resulted in this fun little treat.
Half of the Mickey cake is chocolate, and half is batter without the cocoa powder and a little red food coloring. The Minnie ears are all chocolate with some little red bow-shaped cakes added on top.
Add some cream cheese filling, and share with your favorite Disney fans.
Mickey and Minnie Mouse whoopie pies recipe
Yields 15 – 16 depending on size of cakes
Total time: 1 hour
Adapted from the Marshmallow Fluff whoopie pie recipe
For the cakes
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Red food coloring
- 1/4 cup each yellow and white candy wafers
For the filling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg and vegetable oil.
- Beat in the sugar, and continue beating until pale yellow in color.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk and vanilla. Add the flour and milk mixtures alternately to the eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 2 separate quart-size freezer bags.
- To 1 bag add the cocoa powder, and to the other add 3 – 4 drops of red food coloring.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. On the back side of the parchment paper, draw ears that are 2-1/2 inches in height.
- Snip an end off each bag, and pipe the batter onto the Mickey ear templates on the parchment paper. For Minnie, use all the chocolate batter, then separately pipe red bows onto the parchment paper. For Mickey, use chocolate for the top half and red batter for the bottom half. (You need 2 cakes to pair up later as sandwiches, so be sure to make an even number of each kind.)
- Bake for 5 – 7 minutes, until the tops just spring back. Let cool.
- For the filling, beat together the butter and cream cheese until well combined. Mix in the powdered sugar, marshmallow fluff and vanilla until all are well combined.
- Spread the filling on 1 cake, and top with another cake.
- Add white and yellow candy wafers separately to 2 freezer bags. Microwave each bag in 20-second intervals until just melted. Snip a small corner end off each bag, and pipe 2 small circles on the Mickey pies. With the white, add a small dollop onto each Minnie pie, and attach a red bow to each. Outline the bow with white candy, and add small white candy dots as detail. Let the candy harden for 10 minutes.