Baked ziti gets a gluten-free makeover thanks to quinoa pasta
Don't give up pasta just because you've kicked gluten from your diet. Quinoa pasta is about to become your new favorite ingredient when it comes to satisfying your comfort food cravings.
Omitting gluten from your diet or a family member's diet doesn’t have to mean the end of the world. These days there are tons of brands that cater to the needs of those who are or are planning to go gluten free.
This easy pasta dinner is completely free of gluten but gives you those same hearty, comforting qualities you love about baked ziti. In this recipe I went for quinoa penne since it cooks up and tastes almost identical to real pasta. The sweet onions and Italian sausage are mixed in with the cooked pasta along with a simple chunky tomato sauce and then baked to perfection.
Gluten-free baked sausage penne with chunky tomato sauce recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 1 (12-ounce) package dry quinoa penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup red or white wine
- 1/2 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta, cook for 8 – 10 minutes, then drain.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, onions and sausage, and cook for 5 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Drain the fat from the pan, and add the sausage mixture to the pot of cooked pasta.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Pour into the baking dish, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and basil. Best served warm.