Ten minutes, five ingredients, one slow cooker — salsa verde chicken drumsticks are the perfect dinner when you don’t have a ton of time but want a delicious home-cooked meal.
Chunky green salsa verde and sour cream are the base for these fall-off-the-bone slow cooker drumsticks. By happy accident, I chose drumsticks because it was all my butcher had at the time, and they turned out so juicy and tender. No boring white meat here, but if you’d rather, you can substitute with breasts or thighs.
Serve this chicken on a bed of Mexican rice for a flavorful dinner that takes minimal effort.
5-ingredient slow cooker salsa verde drumsticks recipe
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 2 (16-ounce) jars salsa verde
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the chicken drumsticks.
- To a blender, add the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture on top of the chicken, and place the lid on the slow cooker. Set the cooker to cook on low for 6 hours (or on high for 4 hours).
- Once the chicken is done cooking, transfer it to a baking dish, and broil for 5 minutes to give the chicken a crisp, golden exterior. (This step is optional but makes the dish look really appetizing.)
- Garnish the chicken with fresh cilantro, and serve warm over Mexican rice alongside vegetables or any other side dish desired.