Nothing says comfort like a rich, warming chowder. This rustic creamy chowder is loaded with corn, fresh potatoes and diced ham. Set this soup to cook in your slow cooker, and enjoy a hot meal with almost no effort at all.
This soup is one my family loves, and what’s even better is that it’s made so easily in the slow cooker. It’s hearty and filling and perfect if you have leftover ingredients you need to use up.
In just 15 minutes, you’ll be done prepping this creamy chowder. To the slow cooker I added some buttermilk for a tart flavor, along with green chilies for just a hint of spice. Next, diced ham, potatoes and corn go in and cook several hours or until the potatoes are super tender. If you are vegetarian, just omit the ham, and add in some additional vegetables like sweet bell peppers or even broccoli.
Slow cooker country corn chowder recipe
Serves 6 – 8
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 (14.75-ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 1 cup diced ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Corn kernels and chopped parsley, for garnish
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add all the ingredients, and mix well.
- Cover with the lid, and set the cooker to cook on low for 4 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Spoon the soup into bowls, and garnish with extra corn and fresh chopped parsley.
- Best served warm.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.