One-Pot Wonder: Cheesy skillet taco bake is a tasty way to sneak in veggies
Everyone loves one-skillet meals because they mean limited cleanup. And in this case, it means a taco twist on a comfort food casserole. Win-win.
This easy taco bake cooks in one skillet and tastes amazing. Slightly spicy and super cheesy — who wouldn't love that?
It's packed full of ground turkey and a ton of delicious vegetables. Feel free to mix up the vegetables to fit whatever you have on hand or what's in season.
Vegetable-packed one-skillet taco bake recipe
Serves 4 – 6
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatillos
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with garlic and onion)
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- To a large (12-inch-high sided) skillet, add the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the ground turkey, and once it starts to brown, add in the garlic, tomatillos, onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Continue cooking until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add in the corn, diced tomatoes (with juice), diced green chilies, white rice, taco seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper and chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer, and cover the pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has soaked into the rice.
- Top with cheese, and cover until melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.