Forget about the veal, and think pork for schnitzel, then pair it with a delicious and flavorful salad of apples and potatoes.
Have you ever had pork schnitzel? It’s that Austrian dish that’s very easy to love because it is simple and delicious. It’s made of a very thin slice of pork that is breaded and then pan-fried. Pork is actually a variation of the traditional schnitzel that uses veal (Wiener schnitzel).
It’s very easy to make, but nothing beats authentic schnitzel like Austrians make. The best way is to go there yourself or look for an Austrian to invite you for dinner, but if you can’t do either of the two, then it’s time to make your own at home. Pair it with an amazing apple and potato salad, and enjoy your dinner with the whole family. Note: Kids love schnitzel!
Pork schnitzel with apple and potato salad recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 8 thinly sliced pork cutlets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko or regular breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 3 tablespoons or more of butter
- Prepare the apple and potato salad ahead of the pork schnitzel. See recipe below.
- On a wooden board, line the pork cutlets on plastic wrap, and cover them with another layer of plastic wrap. Pound them until they become thin, about 1/8 – 1/10 inch thick. No need to be precise, just more or less. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the work area with 3 bowls, each containing one the following: flour, lightly beaten eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Cover each pork cutlet with the flour, and shake off the excess. Next, dip it in the egg bowl, and shake off the excess. Last, cover both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing lightly to get more crumbs to stick to the meat. Shake off the excess. Repeat the process with the other pork cutlets.
- Warm up a medium to large saucepan over medium heat with the olive oil and butter.
- When the oil and butter are hot, start cooking the schnitzel. Cook both sides until they turn golden brown. If there is not much space in the pan, then work in batches.
- Place the schnitzel on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil, and cover while cooking the rest to keep them warm.
- Serve the pork schnitzel with the apple and potato salad that you prepared beforehand.
Apple and potato salad recipe
Serves 3 – 4
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 big apple
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1 scallion or small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound potatoes
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Chives, finely chopped (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. When the water is boiling, cook the potatoes for about 30 minutes (time depends on the size of the potatoes) or until they are tender.
- While waiting for the potatoes to cook, make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Adjust the taste if needed, then set aside.
- Peel the apple (if not organic), core it, and dice it, and then drizzle a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice over the pieces to avoid browning. Mix, and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked and still warm but cool enough to handle, peel and dice them.
- In a serving bowl, mix together the potatoes, apples, scallions and vinaigrette. Add the mayonnaise, and mix again. Garnish with the chives, if using.
More easy pork recipes
Asian fried pork chops
Spice-rubbed pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon
Leave a Comment