This favorite comfort food dish gets richer and more romantic with the addition of luscious lobster, white wine and creamy cheese. You’ll be amazed at how little effort it takes to turn easy lobster mac and cheese into a date night meal for two (with a third serving to split).
Prices vary from city to city, but I spent about $15 on two lobster tails, and they were a cinch to cook. Simply add them to a large pot so they’re covered with water, add a big pinch of salt, cover with a lid, and boil. Next, reduce the heat, and cook for about a minute per ounce of lobster (a 4-ounce lobster tail would cook for about four minutes). Remove from the water, and allow to cool.
Easy lobster mac and cheese recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 – 30 minutes | Total time: 35 – 40 minutes
- 2 (4-ounce) lobster tails, cooked
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 3 (6-ounce) baking dishes with the nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Remove the cooked lobster meat from the shells. Set aside.
- To a large, deep pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter. When the butter is hot, add the shallot, and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan, and let it melt. Add the flour to the pan, and whisk to combine until it turns a light, golden color.
- A little at a time, add the milk, whisking. Add the wine, and continue to whisk. Reduce the heat to low. Add the cheese a little at a time until melted and smooth.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Add the cooked lobster and the macaroni, and mix to combine. Transfer to the baking dishes.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs to the butter, and mix to combine. Use the mixture to spoon over the lobster mac and cheese.
- Bake for 5 – 7 minutes. If the top has not turned golden at this point, turn on the broiler to help brown it. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn. When lightly golden on top, remove from the oven.
- Serve in the individual baking dishes, topped with chopped chives. Be careful when eating, as the inside of the mac and cheese may still be very hot.